[PyKDE] More 3.7 compile issues

Gerard Vermeulen gvermeul at grenoble.cnrs.fr
Thu Jul 10 09:36:00 BST 2003

On Wed, 9 Jul 2003 16:32:07 -0400
Steve Simmons <scs at lokkur.dexter.mi.us> wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 09, 2003 at 03:49:46PM -0400, Rob Knapp wrote:
> > These issues have been resolved.  I'm just noting them here in case anyone
> > else has the same problem.  Not sure how they would since it was my
> > own idiocy...but I can't be the only one this unobservant, can I?
>
> Nope, I did it too.
>
> I would normally do 'python build.py' and 'make' as an ordinary
> user, then 'make install' as root.  Unfortunately sip and PyQt (and
> PyKDE?) attempt to compile directly into a /usr/local (or equiv)
> directory.  This has been an issue for quite some time, and one of
> these days I'll fix the Makefiles and send the patches to the developers.

No need to fix anything. I quote from my RPM spec files:

rm -rf %{buildroot}
mkdir -p %{buildroot}/%{_libdir}/python%{pydir}/site-packages
python build.py \
        -fno-exceptions \
        -b %{buildroot}/%{_bindir} \
        -d %{buildroot}/%{_libdir}/python%{pydir}/site-packages \
        -q /usr/lib/qt3 \
        -lqt-mt <<EOF
yes
EOF

where you replace the %{macros} with something appropriate for you:
for instance replace %{buildroot} by /home/yourusername/tmp/usr

If you use ccache ( http://ccache.samba.org for gcc users only) recompiling
come at almost no cost:

make CXX="/usr/bin/ccache g++"

You may also want to install you own Python in /home/yourusername/tmp/usr
if you want to test things out before doing a real install.

Gerard