[PyKDE] More 3.7 compile issues

Steve Simmons scs at lokkur.dexter.mi.us
Thu Jul 10 03:46:00 BST 2003

On Wed, Jul 09, 2003 at 02:14:33PM -0700, Jonathan Gardner wrote:

> On Wednesday 09 July 2003 13:32, Steve Simmons wrote:

> > On Wed, Jul 09, 2003 at 03:49:46PM -0400, Rob Knapp wrote:
> > I would normally do 'python build.py' and 'make' as an ordinary
> > user, then 'make install' as root.  Unfortunately sip and PyQt (and
> > PyKDE?) attempt to compile directly into a /usr/local (or equiv)
> > directory. . .
>
> Isn't this desired behavior? By default, most packages install into
> /usr/local. If you want it to go into /usr or somewhere else, you'll have to
> specify it in args to build.py (or the configure program in other packages).

For install yes, but for build no.  You should be able to compile
completely as a user, and potentially even run tests as a user,
without being root.  Invoking large complex make processes as root
is, well, not something a cautious sysadmin would do.

> A better approach is to always, always, always remove sip and PyQt before
> installing something new. After all, you are really asking for trouble if you
> have libsip.so.9 and libsip.so.10 in the same directory.

Before installing, yes.  But consider the joy of removing them and then
discovering that the new version doesn't build, or has bugs in your
environment.  Yet another reason why one should be able to build and
test before doing the actual install.