[PyKDE] IOSlaves - initial attempts

David Boddie david at boddie.org.uk
Mon Jul 7 22:36:00 BST 2003

Since asking about IOSlaves in Python recently on this list, I've been
trying to consolidate what I've picked up from the various documents and
examples online.

I want to write a tutorial at some point but, in the meantime, I've packaged
up a couple of examples which might be interesting to other people looking to
do something similar:

http://www.boddie.org.uk/david/Projects/Python/KDE/Software/ioslaves-2003-07-07.zip

One of these should be interesting for most KDE users as it allows Konqueror's
bookmarks to be presented in the manner of a filesystem; the other example is
more platform specific and requires a support library and some example files.

Writing these has raised a number of questions which are more suitable for
kde-devel than for this list but, for simple IOSlaves, Python appears to be
quite a useful implementation language.

Some modifications to the configuration and build script I have used might be
necessary on some systems, especially if Python exists as a shared library
rather than as an archive (.so rather than .a). It might be useful to link
against the shared library anyway because the resulting IOSlaves are very
large otherwise.

Jim: Feel free to include any of this in with the PyKDE examples if you
think they'll be useful.

Have fun,

David