[PyKDE] Window refresh from another process

Simon Edwards simon at simonzone.com
Wed Jul 2 18:49:00 BST 2003

On Wednesday 02 July 2003 17:47, Albert Cervera Areny wrote:
> Then, how could I do this? The XML-RPC server is blocking and can't think
> how I could make it run in the same thread.

Maybe you could do it all from one thread using async IO and QSocketNotifier.
I've done this in C++ once.

Simplest solution in this case is probably for the GUI thread to poll the
shared data (, the data from the XML thread) from with the help of a
recurring QTimer(). (Use a timer to wake up the GUI thread every X-ths of a
second). Doesn't sound very elegant, but it should work well. (You don't need
microsecond response in a GUI anyway).

Is it possible to share a pipe between threads in the same process? (One
thread reads/waits on the pipe, while the other writes something to the pipe
when the GUI needs to wake up)... just thinking out loud... :)

cheers,

--
Simon Edwards             | Guarddog Firewall
simon at simonzone.com       | http://www.simonzone.com/software/