[PyKDE] an example of simple python scripting of Kspread?

Ingo Krabbe i.krabbe at dokom.net
Sun Feb 2 21:57:01 GMT 2003

On Sat, Feb 01, 2003 at 03:07:35PM -0500, blake wrote:
> I am running RH8.0 and KDE.  I would like to have a python program call up
> Kspread, open a spreadsheet (or two), calculate the results and then save the
> result.  This would seem like a simple task, but the several examples given
> for the PyKDE v3.3.2 package seem to emphasize writing a new application
> rather than manipulating an existing one (like Kword, kspread etc).  Can
> anyone point me to any documentation that would have examples of doing such
> simple scipting?
> thanks
> Blake Hurt
> bhurt at cville.net

I don't think that there really is a as fast solution as you like to
see.  In the end PyKDE is just another programming language which needs
to define the complete interface to Kspread or whatever.  The main
problem will be to connect to the Kspread interface, so a bit studying
is needed of the used classes (I don't know them though).

As you defined your needs you won't want to open a complete Kspread
process with its interface. It looks like you just want to use the
Kspread interface to read in its spreadsheet format and apply it to
given data.

This heavily depends on Kspread itself.  You should contact the
developer of kspread on KDE to get deeper information, but thats just an
opinion of a guy who most times writes applications than manipulate
existing ones.

BYE INGO