[PyKDE] sip/PyQt 3.9

Gerard Vermeulen gvermeul at grenoble.cnrs.fr
Thu Dec 11 19:41:00 GMT 2003

On Wed, 10 Dec 2003 17:55:36 +0000
Phil Thompson <phil at riverbankcomputing.co.uk> wrote:

[ .. ]

> > RPATH is meant to help ld.so, but ld.so is never(?) used, because
> > Python loads the appropriate modules (abused as libraries).
> >

> > What did change? The module loading with Python-2.3 (but PyQwt worked
> > with sip-3.8 and Python-2.3 without the RPATH magic) or sip?
>
> configure.py builds the sip module in-site then installs it (so you don't have
> to be root). build.py built it in site-packages. That's the most obvious
> difference.
>
> Can you try hacking siplib/Makefile so that it builds in site-packages (and
> remove it from the install target) to see if that makes a difference? If it
> does I'll revert to the previous behaviour (but not for SIP4 as it isn't
> affected by this).

With a few patches I manage to build out of place (install after building)
without the RPATH magic: sip-3.9, PyQt-3.9 and a PyQwt (no install necessary
to run the examples).

The trick was to add -Wl,-soname$(TARGET) to LFLAGS.
Is there any distro that dares to touch LFLAGS_SONAME :-)

Attached you'll find build-scripts and patches to see what I have done.
(Python-2.3.2 lives in /home/packer/usr/bin, so prefix=/home/packer/usr)

Gerard