[PyKDE] help with PyQt Sip and QT...

Andrea Pertosa andrea.pertosa at mscsoftware.com
Fri Aug 29 21:22:01 BST 2003

Hi all, I recently posted this to the tutor python mailing list but
someone suggested the PythonKDE mail list too.. so here goes...

Thank you for reading this. I assure you I did my part researching the
problem that I'm encountering but without luck, so I'm
afraid I'm going to have to ask.

I'm experimenting with QT, PyQt, and Python and I'm having some
difficulties.

First of all let me tell you that I'm a Windows illiterate since my
primary development platform is a SGI IRIX, so please bear with me.

I'm running on a Dell laptop with WinXP Pro. I installed Qt version
3.2.0.

I installed PyQt (the compiled package from riverbank) PyQt-WinNC-3.8
that, according to the web site, contains the SIP.

I installed the python.org distribution of Python, version 2.3 (July
29th 2003).

I build my widget in QT designer, I can create the corresponding python
script but when I try to run the python script I get  a DLL load error:

Traceback (most recent call last):

  File "C:\Documents and Settings\Andrea\Desktop\Adams\Pyqt\sdi
editor\sdi_editor.py", line 5, in -toplevel-

    from qt import *

  File "C:\Python23\lib\site-packages\qt.py", line 17, in -toplevel-

    import libsip

Of course just invoking the python interpreter and trying to "import qt"
cause the same error.

Can anyone suggest a way to resolve this problem?

Note that the only suggestion I could find on the Internet was to copy
manually the libsip.dll to the C:\windows\system32 folder, but that did
not work.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Andrea.