[PyKDE] PyKDE 3.8 - how soon?

Jim Bublitz jbublitz at nwinternet.com
Mon Aug 18 15:38:01 BST 2003

I haven't tested PyKDE against the 3.8 release yet, but it built
without problems against the last snapshots before the release.
I know the packagers are just finishing up 3.7 rpms, and there
are only a few and not very apparent changes for PyKDE going
from 3.7 to 3.8. The PyKDE 3.7 build.py won't let you build
against sip/PyQt 3.8 though. I've added a switch to build.py to
turn off strict version checking for the next release (although
it's still on by default).

I can:

1. Just wait for the next release to upgrade to 3.8 (the ever
popular "about two weeks away")

2. Post the modified build.py that will let you build PyKDE 3.7
against sip/PyQt 3.8 either here, on sourceforge, or both

3. Do a quick PyKDE 3.8 release - it won't be much different from
PyKDE 3.7 (mostly the numbers in the docs will change). Looks
like maybe an hour to do the upgrade and a few hours (just
machine time) to test - famous last words.

If anyone has an opinion one way or the other, let me know and
I'll try to accomodate. Otherwise, my preference is to
procrastinate and wait for the next release :)

Jim