Wrapper packages (was Re: [PyKDE] Heirarchy of header files !!)

Charles Mason Iv cem1834 at garnet.acns.fsu.edu
Fri Aug 15 16:33:00 BST 2003

I'm interested in starting a project of my own which involves a software
package that for which I intend to provide wrapping calls to Python.  I've
read numerous postings regarding who uses SWIG, Boost, or SIP, yet I
havn't heard any concrete evidence why any of these are better than the
other.  One person stated that you should only use SIP if you plan on
interfacing with Qt.  Is this true?  SWIG I read, is bloated and
not-very-easy to use.  In this day and age, shouldn't we be able to come
up with a software package that's not only simple, but well designed too
(with available documentation)? Which of the available wrapper generators
out there do this?  Any ideas?  Which would be best to wrap an arbitrary
library to python calls?

Chuck