[PyKDE] Re: Learning C++

Paul F. Kunz Paul_Kunz at SLAC.Stanford.EDU
Wed Aug 13 18:36:01 BST 2003

> My only point was that learning C++ is easier after learning C. I
> was hoping he would develop the skills to read and understand all
> forms of C and C++, not necessarily the skills to write C++.

   I've taught C++ to nearly 2000 Fortran Scientists/Programmers most
of whom never saw C before.  Sure, in the first of six half day
sessions, it is hard to tell if I'm teaching C, C++, Objective-C,
Java, or even C# except that I use C++'s iostream.  Even the second
session which deals with functions and pointers, it is hard to tell
except introduction of C++ new, delete, and references.  So I don't
think you need to learn C before learning C++.  In fact, experienced C
programmers have a tough time understanding C++ reference while
Fortran programmers catch on quicker.

   The hard part of the course starts with the third lesson when OO is
introduced.  But is the OO that is hard, not the syntax.   So again,
you don't need C before learning C++.