Learning C++ (was Re: [PyKDE] Line numbers in TextEdit box?)

Michael Lauer mickey at tm.informatik.uni-frankfurt.de
Wed Aug 13 16:14:00 BST 2003

> I think the best place to start for C++ is C. You can pick up any good
> book on C and you will probably have all the fundamental concepts in a
> few hours. Pointers might take some more time, but once you get them
> you are good to go.

Ugh! Please don't advice people wanting to learn C++ to start with C.
C++ as a multi-paradigm language is fundamentally different from C - it
just includes it because of compatibility issues and in the past, the
C->C++ way caused a lot of people to get used to ugly habits and writing
C-style-programs in C++ just because it seems to work.

Of all students I ever had to teach C++, the majority of the ones with
C-knowledge turned out to write much worse C++ programs than the ones
without C-knowledge.

--
:M:
Dipl.-Inf. Michael 'Mickey' Lauer   mickey at tm.informatik.uni-frankfurt.de
  Raum 10b - ++49 69 798 28358       Fachbereich Informatik und Biologie