[PyKDE] Line numbers in TextEdit box?

Peter Clark peter-clark at bethel.edu
Wed Aug 13 03:52:00 BST 2003

On Tuesday 12 August 2003 03:21 pm, Jonathan Gardner wrote:
> I'd rethink the design. Looking at the picture, I can't tell how to add
> new tags or remove existing one. Can I edit the text on the left? What
> about cut and paste? Does it scroll? It's not clear. GUI interfaces are
> supposed to make that clear.
	You're right, the picture is a bad example...or rather, a good example of a
bad UI. I selected it only because it was a graphical display of something
*similar* to what I was thinking.

> Have you thought of using a listview? Click on a node (a tag) and you
> can edit the value. Have the tree show the first couple of characters
> from the first line if necessary.
	Actually, I was thinking of using a listview for selecting an entry from a
list. I'm not sure a second listview would look nice with the data clipped,
or even whole--I'm having nightmares of Window's regedit here! ;> I'll
consider other ways existing widgets could be used, however.

> If you do decide to go with a modified widget, you should really learn
> enough C++ to read the code for Qt's widgets, and then run from there.
	Sigh. :) Guess I'd better start those college courses, books, and MS Visual
Studio, then. Does Visual Studio run under Wine? ;>
	:Peter
--
Oh what a tangled web they weave who try a new word to conceive!