[PyKDE] Loading of plugins when embedding python

Manuel Klimek klimek at box4.net
Sun Aug 10 15:42:00 BST 2003

Hi there,

I'm trying to embed PyQt in a Qt C++ application. I'm
using debian sid, and with the packages I downloaded
I came as far as "from qt import *", but when I tried
to create a button or something I get a segfault.

So I tried to build python, SIP and PyQt by myself
with debugging enabled, to learn, where in Py_NewFrame
the thing actually segfaults.
I did an installation to ~/local, which worked quite well after
changing the paths in the build scripts.

Now when I start python, the following happens:
Python 2.2.3 (#1, Aug  9 2003, 16:31:09)
[GCC 3.3 (Debian)] on linux2
>>> from qt import *
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
  File "/home/klimek/local/lib/python2.2/site-packages/qt.py", line 25, in ?
    import libqtc
ImportError: /home/klimek/local/lib/python2.2/site-packages/libqtcmodule.so:
undefined symbol: _ZNK9QSGIStyle9classNameEv

I've got a plugin with the sgi style in the usual qt plugins style directory.
So usually Qt loads those plugins by default, doesn't it?
Either that, or should PyQt libs link against the appropriate plugin
libraries (?)
I read that I can disable styles in the $QTDIR/include/qconfig.h,
but that would be a workaround, and not a solution, because the
installation doesn't seem to be broken: The plugin libraries are there...

Now, is this a problem, or is it just a broken debian qt package?

Thankful for any hints,
	Manuel