[PyKDE] Qt3/PyQt and MS Windows

Lars Kirkhus kirkhus at idi.ntnu.no
Tue Aug 5 14:18:01 BST 2003

Hello there. I've got some questions about running Qt and PyQt on
Windows that I hope some of you might help me with.

Currently I'm working on an open source project which is using Qt/PyQt,
Qt 3.1.1 atm, for GUI rendering. It is up and running on *nix and we are
about to start working on getting it to work on Windows also and for
this we are planning to buy an academic license of Qt3 (and a license
for PyQt). Since this costs money I want to be 100% sure we're not doing
anything hasty here.

What I would like to know is this: when we release the Windows port,
what is required from the user. Do they also have to install PyQt and
Qt3 or is it possible for us to ship our program with some kinds of
dlls? Any pointers to documentation on this would be nice since I've
been unable to find any.

If it turns out that the users also have to install and buy a license
for Qt3 I'm guessing we just have to do it the hard way and maintain a
Windows version which uses the non-commercial 2.3 version of Qt, ie. not
a good solution...

Kind regards

Lars Kirkhus
http://www.zherlock.org