[PyKDE] Which license applies to portable python scripts?

Phil Thompson phil at river-bank.demon.co.uk
Sat Apr 19 09:32:00 BST 2003

On Saturday 19 April 2003 5:03 am, Toru Furukawa wrote:
> In Qt Non Commercial License v1.0, I found
>
>  4. You are as an individual granted a personal, non-exclusive
>  non-transferable license, in a non-commercial setting, to develop
>  application programs, reusable components and other software items that
>  link with or in any other way require the Software. These items, when
>  distributed, are subject to the following requirements:
>
> Suppose, I write a Python script (say hello.py) with PyQt for Windows,
> under Non-Commercial license.  This licese applies to the distribution
> of hello.py, because hello.py does "import qt", i.e. requires the
> Software in a way.  If hello.py is portable so that you can run it on
> Windows, Linux and whatever with PyQt, which license applies to hello.py?
>
> Or those licese cover only a complete form of a software, not a script
> as protion of software?  (hello.py does not run alone, while PyQt and
> hello.py make a single application)

Trolltech consider PyQt as just another way of using Qt so the question is the
same as if your application was written in C++. So your application must also
be licensed under the non-commercial license, and your users must also
conform to that license.

So, while the code might be portable, the license may not be. Your users may
only use your application in a "non-commercial setting". Your users may not
use the GPL version of Qt (or PyQt) to run your application (because that
contravenes the GPL).