[PyKDE] PyKDE for sip 3.5 and 3.6

Jim Bublitz jbublitz at nwinternet.com
Sat Apr 19 00:47:01 BST 2003

On 18-Apr-03 Phil Thompson wrote:

> Be aware that the linkage between SIP and PyQt versions won't
> last much longer. Fairly soon there will be one version of PyQt
> but two versions of SIP - and it will be up to the user/packager
> to decide which SIP is to be used.

Oh, goody :)

> The current situation is very unusual. The change between Qt
> 3.1.1 and 3.1.2 is the first time that Trolltech have broken
> source level compatibility - it's a bug. Coincidentally Python
> 2.3 also breaks source level compatibility, and this is the
> first time that has happened.

I think that's a good demonstration of the quality of development
done in Python, Qt, and even gcc. I can imagine a lot worse
happening.

> I've also been (wrongly with hindsight) holding back on releasing
> 3.6 because I see it as a great synchronisation point between
> up to date versions of PyQt, Qt, Python, KDE, PyKDE, QScintilla
> and eric.

Let's blame everything on Guido :)

> Anyway, in a couple of weeks or so, everything will have settled
> down and everybody will have something solid to work with.

It seems to be going that direction - hopefully I'm going to run
out of bugs to fix soon and be able to start getting ready for 3.6.

Jim