[PyKDE] Difference between dcoppython and PyKDE dcop module?

Julian Rockey linux at jrockey.com
Sat Apr 12 15:17:01 BST 2003

On Saturday 12 Apr 2003 10:17 am, Lukáš Tinkl wrote:
> Dne pá 11. dubna 2003 19:32 Ricardo Javier Cardenes Medina napsal(a):
> > On Fri, Apr 11, 2003 at 12:18:49PM -0400, Gordon Tyler wrote:
> > > Hi all,
> > >
> > > There's a dcoppython package in Debian that apparently is part of
> > > kdebindings. PyKDE also has a dcop module. I was wondering what the
> > > difference is? Also, which of these would allow a Python object to
> > > provide a callable DCOP interface?
> > >
> > > Ciao,
> > > Gordon
> >
> > I have to warn you: that's a rather old and unmaintained package (it
> > seems that the packager lost interest at the same rate that KDE
> > developers).
>
> It recently became maintained again and is now under heavy work.
... and I'm the new maintainer.

The changes I am currently making are to make the differences between the
kdebindings dcoppython and the dcop bindings in PyKDE clearer.

Essentially what I am doing is removing an "mini-QT-bindings" that were
present, and ensuring dcoppython works without *any* QT bindings. So, for
example, instead of a QRect being returned as a QRect class, it is returned
as a Python tuple (x1,y1,x2,y2). And so on.

I see a use for dcoppython for Python programs that *don't* use QT. Thje PyKDE
bindings are suitable for Python programs that *do* use QT/KDE. dcoppython in
my mind is a bridge between the QT world and the Pythonic world.

I have also recently added the ability to provide a callable DCOP interface
for a Python object. It needs more work but the concept is there. There is an
example in dcoppython/tests called server.py

Feel free to check out kdebindings/dcoppython from kde HEAD and help me test!
You don't need to run kde HEAD either -- the module compiles equally well
with 3.1

cheers
Julian