[PyKDE] Odd window behavior when embedding ActiveX controls

greg Landrum greglandrum at mindspring.com
Wed Apr 9 02:33:01 BST 2003

[Win2K, Python22, PyQt 3.5 (as distributed with BlackAdder)]

I'm working on embedding ActiveX controls in PyQt windows and I see some
completely reproducible weirdness in the display.  This screenshot
demonstrates the problem:
http://www.mindspring.com/~greglandrum/pics/gray-box.jpg
The window has an instance of the IE ActiveX control which has been told to
load www.python.org.  In the upper left corner of the window there is a
gray box which is displayed over the plugin.

Information about the gray box:
- it does not go away on refreshing or resizing the window
- it prevents events from making it to the control underneath; i.e. mouse
clicks in the gray box are not received by IE, mouse clicks elsewhere get
through just fine.
- it's not just an IE thing, if I embed other controls I see exactly the
same thing.

A very stripped down file containing what I think is the bare minimum to do
the embedding is here:
http://www.mindspring.com/~greglandrum/python/qax_demo.py

I'm hoping that this is something really stupid that I've missed.  Any ideas?

Thanks,
-greg