[PyKDE] Sip build problems with borland compiler (on w2k)

Ted Drain teddrain at earthlink.net
Tue Apr 8 21:21:01 BST 2003

I'm trying to build sip 3.5 on W2K using the free Borland C++
compiler.  I've installed Python 2.2.2 and used the coff2omf tool to
convert the python libraries to borland format.

I get some warnings building sip.exe that look like this:

         ilink32 @MAKE0000.@@@
Turbo Incremental Link 5.00 Copyright (c) 1997, 2000 Borland
Warning: Public symbol '_sipVersion' defined in both module
C:\SIP\SIPGEN\MAIN.OBJ and C:\SIP\SIPGEN\TRANSFORM.OBJ
Warning: Public symbol '_sipVersion' defined in both module
C:\SIP\SIPGEN\MAIN.OBJ and C:\SIP\SIPGEN\GENCODE.OBJ
[others removed]

Except for the warnings, everything seems to build and install fine.  When
I try to build PyQt, sip errors out with a core dump.  I started looking at
the sip installation and tried to import libsip into python.  When I do
that, I get the following error.

C:\>python
Python 2.2.2 (#37, Oct 14 2002, 17:02:34) [MSC 32 bit (Intel)] on win32
 >>> import libsip
Traceback (most recent call last):
   File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
ImportError: dynamic module does not define init function (initlibsip)

I've read that borland add's an underscore to the symbols in the library
which python (build with MSC) doesn't want but I'm not sure how to get rid
of that (or if that's actually the problem).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Ted