[PyKDE] PyQT on Mandrake 9.1 issues

Damien Bateman pykde at yahoo.co.uk
Sun Apr 6 06:00:01 BST 2003

Hi all,

I've been trying to install PyQt (snapshot-20030326)
on Mandrake 9.1 for a day or two now. I'm using the
corresponding version of sip
(sip-x11-gpl-snapshot-20030326).

Initially, I was using the GPLd Qt v3.1.2 from the
trolltech site. I had no problems compiling and using
PyQt against the that version of Qt. However, I want
to use the Mandrake supplied version so that I can use
the style plugins that come with M9.1 (I found I could
not do this easily with 3.1.2 - I think it is due to
build key issues that prevent the style plugins from
being loaded?).

So now I'm using the libqt3-devel package that
Mandrake used to compile their version of KDE 3.1 -
which is Qt 3.1.1. I compiled and installed sip with
no problems. PyQt also compiles and installs without
any problems against the Mandrake supplied Qt, but
when I try to import qt in python, I get the following
traceback:

Python 2.2.2 (#2, Feb  5 2003, 10:40:08)
[GCC 3.2.1 (Mandrake Linux 9.1 3.2.1-5mdk)] on
linux-i386
Type "help", "copyright", "credits" or "license" for
more information.
>>> import qt
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
  File "/usr/lib/python2.2/site-packages/qt.py", line
25, in ?
    import libqtc
ImportError:
/usr/lib/python2.2/site-packages/libqtcmodule.so:
undefined symbol: _ZNK9QSGIStyle9classNameEv

I looked at the PyQT/PyKDE mailing list and found a
couple of similar problems but nothing of any use.

My next step was to add the #define QT_NO_STYLE_SGI to
/usr/lib/qt3/include/qtconfig.h as per the
README.Linux file in $PYQTDIR. I found that when I
tried to build PyQt with this definition it refused to
build libqtcmodule.o, complaining of parse errors.
After several more attempts to ensure I wasn't missing
something, I went into $PYQTDIR/qtcmodule.cpp and
wrapped the relevant references to sipqtQSGIStyle in
#ifndef QT_NO_STYLE_SGI tests. After making some
changes to the relevant Makefile, I could build and
install PyQt without any problems. However, when I
tried to import qt, I got another traceback:

Python 2.2.2 (#2, Feb  5 2003, 10:40:08)
[GCC 3.2.1 (Mandrake Linux 9.1 3.2.1-5mdk)] on
linux-i386
Type "help", "copyright", "credits" or "license" for
more information.
>>> import qt
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
  File "qt.py", line 25, in ?
    import libqtc
ImportError: ./libqtcmodule.so: undefined symbol:
_Z16sipNew_QSettingsP7_objectS0_

Can anyone help me with this? If this question has
been answered before, please just point me in the
right direction.

If more information is required, let me know.

Thanks,

Damien