[PyKDE] c++ to python translation problem

Hans-Peter Jansen hpj at urpla.net
Tue Sep 3 14:06:01 BST 2002

Hi *,

while trying to translate a c++ sniplet (appeared on qt-interest yesterday),
which syncs two list views vertically, I'm somehow stuck:

class QSyncer : public QObject {
    Q_OBJECT
public:
    QSyncer(QScrollView* s1, QScrollView* s2);

public slots:
    void moving1(int x, int y);
    void moving2(int x, int y);

protected:
    QScrollView* s1_;
    QScrollView* s2_;
};

QSyncer::QSyncer(QScrollView* s1, QScrollView* s2) : s1_(s1), s2_(s2) {
    connect(s1, SIGNAL(contentsMoving(int, int)), this, SLOT(moving1(int,
        int)));
    connect(s2, SIGNAL(contentsMoving(int, int)), this, SLOT(moving2(int,
        int)));
}

QSyncer is instanced with two QListViews.

My question is: What happens in the s1_(s1), s2_(s2) sequence?
My understanding is, it just assigns/casts s1/s2 to the protected
pointers _s1/_s2, which would translate to:

class QSyncer(QObject):
    def __init__(self, s1, s2):
        QObject.__init__(self)
        self._s1 = s1
        self._s2 = s2
        self.connect(s1, SIGNAL("contentsMoving(int, int)"), self.moving1)
        self.connect(s2, SIGNAL("contentsMoving(int, int)"), self.moving2)

How is the transition made from QListView to QScrollView, besides the
former inherits the latter. The problem is, while the c++ version work
as expected, my python version don't. The slots in QSyncer are never
called.

It really must be something obvious, I don't understand...

TIA,
  Hans-Peter