[PyKDE] Runtime issues on SuSE 8.1

Eron Lloyd elloyd at lancaster.lib.pa.us
Tue Oct 15 03:19:01 BST 2002

Hello all,

I'm finally starting to work with PyQt, using the wonderful book by Boudewijn
Rempt, and I can't seem to get the first example (hello1.py) to work. I
apologize if this is the most basic, most obvious problem, but here is my
dilemma:

SuSE 8.1 comes with PyQt & SIP 3.3.2, and Qt 3.0.5, which installed fine. I
can import the qt module into the current namespace, and see all the objects.
However, as soon as I try to instantiate a QApplication(sys.argv), I get a
segmentation fault (with no error codes or anything). So next I download PyQt
& SIP 3.4, and build from source against SuSE Qt3. Everything compiles
beautifully, and I can from the Python shell again load the Qt module and
touch all the classes. However, the minute I try to create a QApplication
instance by passing it a list, it segfaults. Now, I trust the quality of
Boudewjin's code, but I wanted to test another app just in case. So I tried
to call eric, and got the same thing. Has anyone gotten PyQt to run
successfully on SuSE 8.1? I've got gcc 3.2 and glibc 2.2.5 (out of the box).
I'm no C++ coder, much less a real strong Python coder, so I can't really
provide much more information...I hope this is helpful though. PyQt looks
excellent, and I'm really excited about developing some applications, so I
guess this is just a part of the learning process :-). I'll await your
instruction from here.

Thanks,

Eron
---