[PyKDE] Editor survey

Frederick Polgardy Jr polgardy at bodacion.com
Thu Oct 3 21:07:01 BST 2002

On Thursday 03 October 2002 10:40 am, Greg Fortune wrote:
> It's pretty slick and I used it as my primary editor for several weeks
> but ended up going back to Nedit.

Yeah, I keep doing the same. :-)  I'm not *extremely* concerned about it
starting up as fast as Nedit -- Nedit starts up *reeeeally* fast.  I've
tried to use kwrite for awhile, and the startup time doesn't bother me
nearly as much as other stuff about it (e.g. complete lack of features).  I
like the Nedit scripting capability, but I'm trying to keep the number of
scripting languages I know to a minimum.  Too little free space in my head
as it is. :-)  (Same reason I won't learn elisp for Emacs.)  That's why a
Python-scriptable editor would be perfect.  But you're right that it has no
hope of starting as fast as Nedit does.

> The only other thing that I disliked about Scintilla was the code folding.
> I couldn't get it to behave exactly how I wanted and finally gave up on
> it.  If I remember correctly, it was because the sub levels wouldn't
> remember how they were expanded if you collapsed an upper level and then
> expanded it again.  Of course, that's a pretty little nitpick.

That's not really a nitpick.  It would bother me a lot.  It doesn't seem
that hard to get right from a programming standpoint; in fact, it seems to
me it'd be harder to get it wrong.

Thanks,
Fred

--
F R E D E R I C K   P O L G A R D Y   J R.
Bodacion Technologies