[PyKDE] Re: eric3 python-site files not found

Hans-Peter Jansen hpj at urpla.net
Thu Nov 28 00:27:00 GMT 2002

Hi Arno,

what about subscribing PyKDE? Pretty low traffic ML.

On Tuesday 26 November 2002 12:47, you wrote:
> Hi,
>
> when single-stepping through some of my python files with eric3
> I get an error dialog with the message
>
> The file
> /var/tmp/python-2.2.1-build/usr/lib/python2.2/sre.py
> could not be opened.
>
> I am using python-2.2.1-45 from SuSE 8.1. I also have the rpm
> python-nothreads-2.2.1-45 installed, not sure whether that
> maytters. The same python files run fine outside of eric3.
>
> The filename in the message looks like a leftover from a build.

The problem seems to be related to the way, how eric resolves
the path of the source (using the path provided in the *.py{c,o}
files). This clashes with the way, SuSE built their python package,
which leads to these strange messages from eric. I solved this
problem with the attached script:

pycompile -vao

will byte-compile the full python installation, thus requiring root
privilege. This choke on a few files in the test tree, which
seems to be expected, and on a few files, where it's not :-(

BTW: does somebody knows a faster way to generate pyc and pyo
files in one go? (I'm using a stupid system call to get it done)

I will try to ensure a clean python build from SuSE in their next
distrib.

> Arno

Bye,
Hans-Peter