[PyKDE] Kudos and Questions from a New Convert

Jim Bublitz jbublitz at nwinternet.com
Wed Nov 20 23:09:01 GMT 2002

On 20-Nov-02 Ken Godee wrote:
>> > programing to end results. I personally don't know why anyone
>> > would
>> > use any other python gui combo! wx,gtk,tk etc. (except for
>> > lic.
>> > issues) and I definitely posted this on the python list as
>> > well!

>> I completely agree with you about the power of PyQt, but I can
>> give a reason why I probably won't use it for any of my
>> "mainstream" code in the near future: installation. If my code
>> uses PyQt, then every user must install Qt and PyQt, both of
>> which are not entirely trivial and require a C++ compiler,
>> which not everybody has. Moreoever, compatibility between
>> versions is not perfect, not all code for Qt 2 works with Qt
>> 3. For any supported code, I'd rather avoid the resulting
>> support overhead and stick with Tk.

> Since I'm a newbee........
> So one, your assuming everyone has python and Tk installed
> already but not Qt/PyQt?

Good point.

> Can't you compile static libs/apps with Qt/PyQt or use something
> like "installer" for linux or Py2exe for windows?

It might take some work, but I think it would be OK. You have to
watch the licensing on Windows or proprietary stuff on Linux. Don't
forget to link in libsip too.

> I know this can create large files sometimes, but that hasn't
> been a problem on any of todays systems. I haven't got around to
> it yet, but was just assuming I could do something of that
> nature to share Qt/PyQt apps with other people that may not have
> it installed. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

The size should be the same either way for people without Qt
running already. Otherwise, you'll have both static and dynmic Qt
loaded.

Once again, there are rpms/deb available for some Linux
distrubtions (for both Qt and PyQt).

Jim