[PyKDE] Re: I Wish To Register A Complaint (Phil Thompson)

Jim Bublitz jbublitz at nwinternet.com
Tue May 21 07:53:00 BST 2002

On 21-May-02 Phil Thompson <phil at river-bank.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>> Compiler cache (http://ccache.samba.org/) might help. Or the
>> other proposed
>> trick with all the cpp in one file.

> There are a couple of reasons why I might want SIP v4 to generate
> just one dirty great source file - but I'm a bit concerned about
> compilers choking on a source file that is several Mbytes.

> Does anybody have any thoughts on this? In particular, are you
> using a compiler that might have a problem with this approach?

It would be nice to retain at least the option of the current
method of one file/class as it's helpful for developing, debugging
and patching and it makes it easier to steal your code when I have
to handwrite something. Otherwise I'm in favor of anything that
makes PyKDE compile faster.

The other comment I'd make is that PyQt and PyKDE are large -
they take a long time to compile because Qt and KDE are big. On
other stuff I've used sip on, the entire sip and compile process
takes less than two minutes for enough code to cover a fairly large
app (lots of methods but not many classes).

Speaking of speed - you're amazingly fast in getting new PyKDE
releases up on the web site (today's patched version has been up
for several hours already). Thanks!

Jim