[PyKDE] I Wish To Register A Complaint

Ricardo Javier Cardenes Medina rcardenes at debian.org
Thu May 9 22:17:00 BST 2002

On Thu, May 09, 2002 at 05:25:48PM +0100, Phil Thompson wrote:
> "John R. Marshall" wrote:
> >
> > 1 PyQt takes forever to compile on my old puter (8+ hours)
>
> That's a fair point. Plus I suspect that there are a fair number of
> commercial PyQt users who haven't got the time in their development
> plans.

I told once to someone to try precompiling Qt headers (Windows version).
That should reduce a lot the compiling time. For the Debian packages of
version 3.2.1 (not yet released), I've patched the Makefile.am so it
creates a huge .cpp with all other .cpp's in a module, and compile it
(as seen in --enable-final on KDE or MICO, for example). It takes huge
amounts of memory (about 100MB on i386 for qtcmodule), but I can compile
the entire PyQt suite _twice_ (both for Python 2.1 and 2.2) in about
20-25 minutes (Qt3) or barely 15 minutes (Qt2).

I've been lazy in the past uploading new releases of PyQt because I takes
a pain (recompile over recompile) evreytime I make a little change...
*sigh*. From now, I expect to be updated.

I think this process shouldn't do anything wrong to the code, but I'd like
people to try the result before uploading it for general use. I'll
announce them on a separate mail.