[PyKDE] Update - next PyKDE2 release

Jim Bublitz jbublitz at nwinternet.com
Fri Mar 8 23:06:07 GMT 2002

I have a few things to fix before the next release. The major
hangup at the moment is on the KParts related stuff. I have
everything working except the last call to
KParts::MainWindow::createGUI segfaults for no obvious reason. I've
spent some time on this already, and will spend a little more, but
if it looks like the release will be delayed too much, I'll
probably just go ahead a release it in the state it's in and
followup with a bug fix release in a week or two.

There was a question earlier on the list about creating plugins
with PyKDE2. Presently I don't think it's possible to create either
plugins or kparts easily with PyKDE2 (but if I get the segfault
problem fixed, it will be possible to load parts/plugins). To
create a plugin requires a libtool compatible library (.la and
.so). I think there's an easy way to do this without having to
create your own C++ libs, but won't know until I can get
kapptemplate working. That's currently hung up on the
automake/autoconf stuff (it requires older versions, but I still
haven't got autoconf working for it yet), because I don't want to
construct that stuff from scratch for putting together a
KDE/libtool compatible library. It hasn't been a successful week.

Nearly everything else is working nicely. The XML GUI stuff (which
I hadn't tried before, and probably wouldn't have worked without
some recent bugfixes) is pretty cool and very efficient for
creating and managing menus/toolbars.

I'm shooting for a release for sometime next week. Even if you're
not interested in KDE3.0, this will be a good release to pickup as
there are a lot of bug fixes and some new modules/classes/methods.

Jim