[PyKDE] Installing PyQt

Noah nspies.geo at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 7 19:48:01 BST 2002

Hi folks,
I'm at a loss for how to continue with getting PyQt
correctly (!) installed.  I went through a relatively
painless compile/install process for PyQt in SuSE
Linux for x86, but now I'm hitting a wall with the
install on Mandrake Linux 8.2 for PowerPC.

Actually, the configure/make/install dance seems to go
just fine.  The problem is that nothing works.  When I
try to run the example scripts, nothing even launches.
 Here's what I get when I try to run aclock.py:

$ python aclock.py
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "aclock.py", line 57, in ?
    clock = AnalogClock()
  File "aclock.py", line 13, in __init__
    internalTimer = QTimer(self)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.2/site-packages/qt.py",
line 191, in __init__
    libqtc.sipCallCtor(23,self,args)
SystemError: error return without exception set

Most of the other examples seg-fault, as does the code
that I've written on the Pentium computer.
Unfortunately, I'm stuck only on Macs.

I have SIP and PyQt versions 3.2.4, and Qt version
3.0.4 (which works fine from C++).  Python version is
2.2.1.

Any clues would be greatly appreciated!  Thanks!

Noah