[PyKDE] Problem running PyQt 3.3 on Win2K

Hans-Peter Jansen hpj at urpla.net
Tue Jul 9 21:34:00 BST 2002

On Tue, 9 Jul 2002 09:53:51 -0700
"WELCH,DONALD J (HP-Vancouver,ex1)" <donald_welch at hp.com> wrote:

> I am experiencing a problem that I cannot seem to figure out. Forgive me if
> this is covered somewhere that I didn't know to look - I tried to locate an
> answer to this on my own to no avail.
>
> Environment: AS Python 2.2.1-222, QT 3.0.4, and PyQT 3.3 on Win2K/SP2;
> MySQL 4.0 on Mandrake 8.2.
>
> Problem: When I run the SQL examples (examples3\SQL) from the command line
> (DOS box), all is fine (for example, sqltable4.py). I can invoke the samples
> using "python sqltable4.py" or "pythonw sqltable4.py" and they run fine
> (using Start | Run... also works OK). However, if I double click on the .py
> file in the Windows explorer (.py files are associated with python.exe), I
> get the error: "<QMYSQL3> database driver not found! Please make sure, ...
> [Abort]". (creating a shortcut using "python.exe sqltable4.py" and running
> that from the Explorer also fails the same way). Re-associating .py files
> with pythonw.exe does not solve this problem.
>
> Obviously there is some sort of difference in the system environment between
> a DOS box and the Windows Explorer processes. (I do have QTDIR defined in
> the system environment.)  I would use a debugger (Wing IDE, etc) to help
> figure this out, but it doesn't fail when running in the debugger!

Donald, don't know, if I can help you here, but two questions comes to my
mind: how did you compiled your Qt database adaptors? Under Unix, they
offer two choices: compiled in or as plugin? I suffered from some problems,
when compiled as plugin under Linux/glibc 2.2.*, thus it's worth a try the
other way around.

Does runsqlex work? It uses a different database connection approach, thus
this is worth a check, too.

OTOH, I'm happy to hear, that the examples work more or less at least
on W2K, too.

> Any help or insights would be much appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Don

Good luck,
  Hans-Peter