[PyKDE] ANN: SIP/PyQt 3.3rc3

Jim Bublitz jbublitz at nwinternet.com
Thu Jul 4 10:59:01 BST 2002

On 04-Jul-02 John R. Marshall wrote:
> On Wednesday 03 July 2002 05:41 pm, Phil Thompson wrote:
>
>> > Of course, the "cat-and-compile" method is not perfect. It
>> > requires all headers to be reenter-able and a total
>> > absence of namespace clashes between C++ source files.

>> Yes, I was rather surprised "when it just worked".

>> I'd like people to test this - particularly those with
>> proprietary compilers - as I'd like to make it the default.

> Please don't!

> I just tried it on a Pentium 1 233 with 288 MB memory (+ 128 MB
> swap) and I used up all the swap room and my box just sat there
> and ground away for about an hour until i killed make. :-(

> Looks like it's the old 8+ hour way for me.

Ugh! I'd still vote for making it the default. There will be a
switch to turn it off - it's an easy switch to implement and clean
enough to not cause any problems. I suspect more people will
want to use this than not, although finding out things like that is
what pre-releases and mailing lists are for.

I would have thought 288MB would be sufficient, especially with
128MB swap. Is there any way you can free more RAM? Like shutting
down X and compiling from the command line? My guess is it would
still cut your compile time significantly if you could make it
work. Also, you can add swap (as a file) without re-partitioning,
but it's been ages since I've done it and I don't really remember
how.

The qt module is the biggest and probably takes 85% of compile time
- an hour might not be enough time on your system if a full compile
with the standard method takes 8 hours. There won't be any output
until qt finishes compiling, so it can look 'hung'. You might try it
overnight and see if it completes.

Jim