[PyKDE] PyQt 3.5 build problems

Gerard Vermeulen gvermeul at grenoble.cnrs.fr
Tue Dec 17 12:26:01 GMT 2002

On Thu, Dec 12, 2002 at 01:00:42PM -0800, Peter Kropf wrote:
> I'm having trouble building the latest PyQt on Solaris 5.8. I'm using Qt
> 3.1.1, SIP 3.5 and PyQt 3.5. The problem looks to be on the linking of
> libqtcmodule.so. The linker gives an error message as:
>
>   ld: fatal: relocations remain against allocatable but non-writable
> sections
>   collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
>
> I've attached the trace from make. Has anyone else encountered any problems
> like this?

Well, I have had some other problems related to libqassistantclient.a
on Linux From Scratch.

I had no problems in building, but 'import qt' failed, reporting
problems finding Assistant related stuff.

I think that in my case the problem was related to the fact that I made
Qt-3.1.0 in a build directory different from the install directory.

The 'make install' copies the libraries, but strips all symbols!

My workaround is modify the mkspecs/linux-g++/qmake.conf file
before the ./configure step:
QMAKE_RPATH =
QMAKE_STRIP = strip --strip-unneeded

Maybe you have to do something similar on Solaris.

This took me a day :-/, because to test it one has to recompile Qt AND PyQt.

Maybe the QMAKE_RPATH change is not necessary, but it works for me :-)

Gerard