[PyKDE] Opinions on pyuic Custom Widget Support

Hans-Peter Jansen hpj at urpla.net
Sat Dec 14 22:37:01 GMT 2002

On Saturday 14 December 2002 18:34, Phil Thompson wrote:
> On Saturday 14 December 2002 4:04 pm, Ricardo Javier Cardenes Medina wrote:

> > At first glance, I don't see a better way to do this, but I think you
> > should preserve the current behaviour when no "Python: " has been
> > provided (for backwards compatibility). You could even provide a
> > "Python: @defaults@", or something like that, allowing people to include
> > the current generated imports, along with the other Python: clauses.
>
> I want to drop the current method because it is likely to be broken when
> you want to use both uic and pyuic, ie. when you are using PyQt as a rapid
> prototyping tool for C++ development.

Please go ahead, Phil.

Better supporting another sexy development strategy by far outweighs some
minor hassle with backward compatibility in this respect.

[Some cursory christmas thoughts/wishes, weather is asking for it:)]
Since I joined this project on mid of july, I'm pleased to realize the
speed of development without big talk. In fact, I would love to see a
bit more cummunication on these advances<33% wink>.

The biggest gift seems to be Phils effort in order to wrap Scintilla,
which made it possible for Detlev to enhance eric to a very promising
IDE in just adding 372 KB Python Source. It has grown to a size of 760 KB
of sane an (mostly) easy to understand and i18ned code.

I cannot imagine a better demonstration of the raw power from a develop
environment. Simply incredible, guys!

Phil, I would love to see you tackling some entries from the sip TODO.
When browsing through sip's code last time, me badly realizes my knowledge
holes on the flex/yacc front, but OTOH, the strong feeling, it would be
worth the hassle to fill them. This may reduce the call for that somewhat
crazy idea of coupling several c++ wrapper libs for one toolkit in one
project. If only we could combine these efforts in order to make out
world a bit more pythonic tomorrow ;-) This is by no means intended as
an offence against the Boost.People. Please beware!

Although PyQt is carried by a comparably small cummunity, it is a very
nice place to be. Thanks, guys!
[Asking myself: any xx chromosome coded human listening?]

> Phil

I wish you all a nice christmas,
Hans-Peter