[PyKDE] Seperate Qscintilla from PyQt

Jonathan Gardner jgardn at alumni.washington.edu
Thu Dec 12 07:29:01 GMT 2002

On Wednesday 11 December 2002 08:17 pm, Jack Neal wrote:
> I kinda like having everything together, at least as an RPM for my distro
> so I don't have to much with makefiles and all that jazz.... I'm new at
> this stuff, and the more installshieldesque something is, the better.

I actually detested install shield. I personally think ./configure; make; make
install is a lot easier to use than that. RPMs and Debian packages are the
way to go because it is easily scriptable and such.

The best part is that I don't have any files in the /usr directory that isn't
part of some package. I can ask each file what package they are a part of;
given a package, I can track down where to go for more info. This means even
a clutz like me can manage a complete linux installation. Heck, I can manage
even more.

> Is it possible to distribute both ways?  I know it takes a lot of time for
> someone to put this stuff together; it seems to me if the code is sitting
> out there, someone could run with it and package however they pleased.

This is true. With the BSD and GPL type licenses, anyone can do pretty much
anything with the code. The questions really is, "I want to make this stuff
accessible to everyone; what is the best way to do this?", or really,
"Someone's already thought through this - what did you do?"

--
Jonathan Gardner
jgardn at alumni.washington.edu