[PyKDE] menu icons

Eli Carter eli.carter at inet.com
Thu Dec 5 15:15:01 GMT 2002

Jim Bublitz wrote:
> On 04-Dec-02 Richard Jones wrote:

>>>On a SuSE system, they're most likely under
>>>/opt/kde3/share/icons/.
>>>I'd expect a fairly similar location (except rooted somewhere
>>>other than /opt perhaps) for other distributions.
>>

>>Don't the icons change according to the user's selected icon set?
>>How do we hook into that?
>

> I'm not really sure - KIconLoader or KIconTheme (or both)?
> Also, I believe for the toolbar, KStdAction finds the icons
> automatically if you use that to set up icons and menus. Obviously,
> custom actions will require custom icons - I think the app's
> directory under kde3/share is searched for those unless you specify
> a different path.
>
> I haven't looked at this stuff in a while and couldn't find
> anything poking around quickly. I guess I'd start with the
> KStdAction and KAction docs and whatever UI design docs are on the
> KDE web site.
>
> I wasn't sure if the original post was in regard to using KDE icons
> with PyQt or PyKDE.

Nor was I. ;)  It looks like I'm going to stick with PyQt at the
moment... I'm trying to port a PyQt util from Redhat 7.2 to 7.3.  That
means PyQt 2.3.1 to PyQt 3.0.3 (despite the package name of 3.1)... (and
that version has a QInputDialog.getText bug (fixed in 3.2.4?) and no RH
update *grumble*) ... and I was wanting to polish it up a bit with
'standard' icons.

I think I'll just find where the icon lives and hard-code it for now.

Thanks for the feedback... I'll have to revisit it after I figure out
how I want to deal with RedHat issues.

Thanks,

Eli