[PyKDE] drag'n drop in pykless.

Richard Jones rjones at ekit-inc.com
Tue Aug 27 03:08:01 BST 2002

On Tue, 27 Aug 2002 10:55 am, Jonathan Gardner wrote:
> On Monday 26 August 2002 02:45 pm, Richard Jones wrote:
> > On Tue, 27 Aug 2002 3:57 am, Phil Thompson wrote:
> > > In my opinion the distributors should be dealing with this problem -
> > > complain to your supplier if they don't include a version of PyKDE
> > > compatible with their copy of KDE.
> >
> > Yep. Unfotunately Red Hat is Red Hat, and they have an aversion to
> > supporting KDE and Qt in anything other than a most basic form :(
> >
> > Given your and Jim's (quite reasonable) stance, I'll live with loading up
> > Red Hat with reasonable Qt, KDE, sip, PyQT and PyKDE versions manually.
> > Hey, it's all free software :)
>
> My take on Red Hat is exactly the same. It's a great foundation, but they
> really do favor Gnome. And python 1.5.
>
> If you can get KDE compiled on your system, share the wealth and upload a
> few good RPMs. I wish I could figure out how to get a decent compilation...

My build environment is non-intrusive to RedHat. That is, I build in my
system's /export directory:

  /export/qt-stable      (QTDIR and source)
  /export/kde-stable     (KDEDIR)
  /export/kde-3.0.2      (source)

according to the instructions on:

  http://developer.kde.org/build/build2ver.html

with "/usr/local" replaced by "/export" in my case, but everything else is the
same. Note that I also edited /etc/X11/xinit/Xclients to have this at the
top:

# check to see if the user has a preferred desktop
PREFERRED=
if [ -f /etc/sysconfig/desktop ]; then
    if [ -n "`grep -i GNOME /etc/sysconfig/desktop`" ]; then
    PREFERRED=gnome-session
    elif [ -n "`grep -i KDE /etc/sysconfig/desktop`" ]; then
    QTDIR=/export/qt-stable
    KDEDIR=/export/kde-stable
    PATH=$QTDIR/bin:$KDEDIR/bin:${PATH}
    LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$QTDIR/lib:$KDEDIR/lib:${LD_LIBRARY_PATH}
    export QTDIR KDEDIR PATH LD_LIBRARY_PATH
    PREFERRED=/export/kde-stable/bin/startkde
    fi
fi

so my "startx" command worked properly (since modifying ~/.xinitrc didn't seem
to do anything on my machine). Bundling this all up as RPMs is beyond me in
both time and knowledge at present, sorry.

     Richard