[PyKDE] Root vs. non-root builds

Jim Bublitz jbublitz at nwinternet.com
Sat Aug 24 00:02:01 BST 2002

On 23-Aug-02 Ricardo Javier Cardenes Medina wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 23, 2002 at 11:37:16AM -0700, Jim Bublitz wrote:
>> OK - here's what works for PyKDE ---

> [snip]
>
> This has a problem: some modules depends on other at link time.
> You need to include their location (yet uninstalled) on the
> linking path.

That was my first thought too, but the link order is the same as
the compile/link order, so the same dependencies exist in the same
order either way. It's either:

original:
[su] compile a, link a, install a, compile b, link b, install b ...

or

as modified:
compile a, compile b, ... [su] link a, install a, link b, ...

The top level Makefile sets the ordering. Unlike the original build
system, there isn't any link during the compile phase followed by a
relink to install. Link errors are detected later, but most link
problems are undefined symbols which don't get detected until
runtime anyway (assuming we don't release really poorly done code).
Given the lib dependencies, you have to be root to do the link
chain anyway - all I've done is move the chain. For most users,
installing elsewhere than site-packages/ isn't acceptable IMO, and
site-packages/ needs to writable only by root as is the case now.

Reduces the compile time too :) (not the total build time though)

I'll send you a patch later today if I get that far.

Jim