[PyKDE] drag'n drop in pykless.

Jim Bublitz jbublitz at nwinternet.com
Fri Aug 23 08:02:21 BST 2002

On 22-Aug-02 Richard Jones wrote:
> On Fri, 23 Aug 2002 12:52 am, Jim Bublitz wrote:
>> Thanks for the input! I'm just about to write another message to
>> the list announcing the next release and apologizing for the
>> quality of the stuff in examples/ and test/. I hope to have this
>> stuff cleaned up and a number of additions by the next major KDE
>> release (3.1), probably later this fall.

> Is there any chance of this stuff making it into the actual KDE
> CVS, and hence KDE releases? That would be sweet, and given
> that there's (minimal) python support already in there, it
> seems logical to me. That would enable a _lot_  more users to
> hack up KDE applications who otherwise haven't heard of PyKDE
> (*shock*, but I'm sure they exist :)

The short answer is that doesn't work very well for me (can't speak
for Phil, and he owns sip and PyQt which are also required, and
still has rights to big chunks of PyKDE). I can provide the long
answer (I'm still trying to quit smoking) if you're interested.

I don't necessarily think this is a bad idea - especially being on
the KDE ftp sites. CVS is what I have problems with, and it's
unlikely that PyKDE will ever keep up with the KDE release schedule
while I'm maintaining it. My understanding is you only get KDE ftp
if you use KDE CVS.

If there's really a lot of interest in this, the way to make it
happen is to have someone fork PyKDE development and work out a
deal with KDE. I'll be happy to provide assistance. This isn't some
"I'll take my ball and go home" - I personally am not comfortable
with putting PyKDE on KDE's CVS, but I am comfortable with forking
the project. Forking doesn't mean I'll stop developing it (at least
not until the fork is as good as what I'm doing, at which point I'd
be happy to let someone else do all the work). The license for
PyKDE is not very restrictive.

Jim