[PyKDE] precompiled rpm-Packages (any links?)

Jim Bublitz jbublitz at nwinternet.com
Wed Aug 21 19:01:01 BST 2002

On 21-Aug-02 Marc Schmitt wrote:
> On Montag, 19. August 2002 16:37, Jim Bublitz wrote:
>> The line that's failing is:

>>     from qt import PYQT_VERSION

>> You can try this line in the Python interpreter and see if it
>> works there. Possible problems would be that the PyQt and PyKDE
>> versions don't match (both need to be 3.3.2) or that build.py
>> is being run

> Yes, you are right. I tried to import PYQT_VERSION, which failed
> - the versions don't match. Suse one's is 3.0, while I downloaded
> 3.3.2.   :/

SuSE and Mandrake seem to time releases to coincide with major
changes in KDE, and lately I've been slow in keeping up with KDE,
so it's probably unlikely that PyKDE will make it into those
distributions in the near future. Even the PyQt they distribute is
usually a version behind. It's usually not that bad for PyQt, but
PyKDE will probably continue to require a recent download and
sip/PyQt update.

OTOH, Debian stays current with everything (thanks, Ricardo!) and
FreeBSD may have everything on 'ports' in the near future. I'm not
sure of the status of any of these on gentoo or similar
'build-from-scratch' distributions.

>> If anyone wants to volunteer to package for specific
>> versions/distributions, I'll provide whatever assistance I can.

> I'm just recompiling sip, pyqt and pykde with checkinstall. sip
> has already finished. If everything works, I hope they finish
> today. One problem I have (and think I've solved sufficiently)
> is the make - make install procedure.  "Normally" one would
> expect to compile with make, and install with make install -
> checkinstall (which i use for packaging) requires a single
> command for installation. so i wrote a file containing "make &&
> make install" saving  as ./install.sh and execteuted "checkinstall
> ./install.sh". This should work,  but when I get a compile-error
> after some files have already been installed  it results in an
> half installation. So I'd like to know, is there any way to
> separate compilation (as user) from installation as root to
> prevent compile-system pollution ?

I've also noticed that the new build system doesn't always stop
when a module generates an error (it seems to continue on to the
next module anyway), so it's necessary to review the compiler
output a little more carefully.

What you're interested in would require editing the qmake-generated
Makefile for each module. Look at the 'all' target - moving the
second half (the part with ../../...$(TARGET) down to the 'install'
target should do it (I think).

> I'll post an update lateron, hopefully containing three rpms and
> a very little  howto-make-rpms-easily.  :o)

I'm looking at where to make rpms available for download and should
have an answer in a day or two. It'd probably be better if you mail
the rpms directly to me instead of to the list, and I'll get them
on a website somewhere. The 'how-to' would also be appreciated - I
don't have any experience with rpm packaging - I assume
'checkinstall' is one of the tools that creates rpms (or spec
files?) almost automatically?

Looks like I'll have to learn something new :)

Jim