[PyKDE] Fwd: Re: 3.0.3 XLib QApplication uses hardcoded :0.0 ... ?

Alex Martelli aleax at aleax.it
Tue Apr 30 16:29:01 BST 2002

Just for completeness about my reported bug:
> Xlib: Client is not authorized to connect to Server

I also sent it to trolltech and just received a response from Bradley
Hughes:

"""
> the application does run afterwards, but the error message is always
> there. Looks like a (minor) Qt bug to me (or could it be XFree86?  seems
> unlikely but...).

This is actually a bug in the DRI libraries included with XFree86 4.  DRI
is only enabled for local connections, so the DRI driver tries to connect
to :0.0 instead of the display being used.  I've seen this message many
many times, but unfortunately there isn't a way to get rid of it.
"""

So, it's official -- it's an XFree86 buglet, related to Direct Rendering, and
presumably without any other ill-effect.  http://dri.sourceforge.net/ is the
home of DRI, by the way, in case you're curious about what it is.

Sorry to have wasted time and attention of people on this list, but at least
now should some customer complain about such messages when your
PyQt application starts up, you know the answer:-).

Alex