[PyKDE] hardcoded :0.0 in creation of QApplication on Xlib...?

Alex Martelli aleax at aleax.it
Fri Apr 26 16:55:00 BST 2002

I'm running PyQt apps remotely -- on a Linux machine (Debian if it matters)
to which I'm connecting over the internet via ssh from my own Linux machine
(Mandrake 8.2 if it matters).  ssh is channeling X too.  And it channels it
OK: environment variable DISPLAY is set to theremotemachine:11.0 and
the whole PyQt apps ARE using that DISPLAY just fine... *except* at the
very moment I create the QApplication object.  Then, and only then, I get
two error messages from Xlib:

Xlib: Client is not authorized to connect to Server

I've confirmed that these are indeed emitted exactly when I call
qt.QApplication(sys.argv) .

I even tried faking up a -display X:Y.0 by appending to sys.argv --
these error messages still appear, and everything else still seems to
work.  PyQt, SIP and Qt all recent versions -- 3.0.3 for Qt in specific.

Any suggestions for fixes and/or workarounds?  I don't understand why
this ":0.0" should apparently be "hard-wired" in Qt's QApplication -- it does
not seem to be doing any real harm (as far as I can tell) but I definitely
wouldn't want to leave this for end-users to see by the time we package
up and start distributing this app's beta, as it looks quite uncool.  So, I'll
gladly try whatever kludge you guys can come up with... advthanksance!

Alex