[PyKDE] [PyKDE]Re: Do sip, PyQT and PyKDE work with KDE 3.0?

Jim Bublitz jbublitz at nwinternet.com
Fri Apr 26 01:55:00 BST 2002

On 25-Apr-02 Alex Willmer <siu99aw at rdg.ac.uk> wrote:
> Perhaps I'm missing something obvious here and what I'm trying
> isn't possible, but here goes...

> As the subject line says, I'm trying to get PyKDE working with
> KDE 3.0. I've downloaded the older packages PyQt-3.0-Qt-2.3.1
> (plus the 2 patches, the first of which mentions a non-existent
> file), PyKDE2-3.0-generic-beta1 &  sip-3.0 according to the
> instructions at the PyKDE download page.

<snip>

> What is the answer here? Does PyKDE2 work with KDE 3.0? Is the
> page at http://www.riverbankcomputing.co.uk/pykde/download.php
> correct?

There currently isn't a version of PyKDE2 that builds with KDE 3.0
final - the last release builds with KDE3.0beta2, but there were
major changes between the beta and final. I was shooting for an
updated release of PyKDE2 this weekend, but it looks like it will
be a little later than that. As of right now, I'm building PyKDE2
to sip 3.1-and-a-half - there was a 3.1 bug I needed fixed
(namespaces), but I haven't switched over to 3.2 yet. I patched
my 3.1 and Phil has already comitted the patch to CVS. I'm also
rewriting the build system, so that adds a little extra
complication (and makes me reluctant to switch sip versions until I
get the current file set working - there are changes needed for
the threading fixes in sip 3.2 also).

To stay in sync, the PyKDE2 release won't be out until sip 3.2 is
also released, but that should happen pretty soon also - PyKDE2
will probably follow sip 3.2 by a day or two.

If Mandrake 8.2 is using gcc2.96 (I believe 8.2beta was), there are
compile problems in the currently available releases related to
that which should also be fixed in the next release.

Quite honestly, the time to work on PyKDE2 just hasn't been
available until today, and will be a little short next week too,
but I don't have a lot left to do to get a release in shape.

Jim