[PyKDE] Re: Building pykde on redhat?

Jim Bublitz jbublitz at nwinternet.com
Fri Apr 19 17:20:08 BST 2002

On 19-Apr-02  wrote:
> I've got a rh7.2 system with the KDE3 RPMs (kdelibs-3.0.0-4,
> qt-3.0.3-5 and  friends) installed. I'm not really sure if KDE3
> is supported. I'm not getting that far... The INSTALL file says
> "PyKDE2 requires Qt2.3.x and KDE2.1.x" ...  is there a PyKDE3?
> (there doesn't appear to be a CVS module for it)

> I'm having a bugger of a time getting PyKDE to compile from CVS.
> I've run into a sip problem - I have sip 3.1 (sip-3.1-1)
> installed. My Makefile has been  modified to let it copy the
> extraH directory:

> sip: dcop.sip:40: parse error

I think this is the "ImportWithTimeline" vs "Import" change in sip
(without looking at the original code and noting you had "%Import
qtmod.sip" in your sample).

This is kind of a mess - I'll only apologize once here, as some
people complain I apologize too much :) The problems are:

1. The beta1 release of PyKDE2 only goes as far as KDE3.0beta2 and
there are incompatible changes in the KDE3.0 final release that you
have.

2. The beta1 release of PyKDE2 only builds with sip3.0

3. The INSTALL file is wrong (thought I updated all of that - guess
not)

4. RH7.2 uses gcc2.96, which causes a few problems and also catches
a few bugs that gcc2.95 misses.

5. There is a small one-line bug in sip3.1 (the fix was posted by
Phil today) which creams PyKDE2

So, in short, you're screwed until I get the next release out which
will a) support KDE3.0 final; b) use sip3.2 (probably by the time I
get it done); c) have fixes for gcc2.96 (thanks to Bill Soudan); and
d) have the INSTALL file fixed. I forgot to mention there are also
changes in the linking procedure, but those will be fixed too.

Sorry (there I go again) - the release is a week or two off (I'm
shooting for the end of next week but want to have it tested on
RH before releasing it) and will solve all of your problems (well,
at least the ones you listed here) ... hopefully.

I do want to encourage people to dig into the code and bug hunt as
you've done - it's a great help, but in this case there's obviously
a lot of updating required on this end.

Jim