[PyKDE] PyQt for Windows does not link.

Erik Weber erikw at lineo.com
Fri Sep 14 19:37:34 BST 2001

Phil Thompson wrote:
> Erik Weber wrote:
> > When compiling PyQt-2.5 with MSVC v6.0, link never terminates.  PyQt is
> > being linked with Qt 2.3.1 for Windows (licensed commercial version) and
> > Python 2.1 for Windows.  Running link with the /VERBOSE option, the last
few
> > messages are:
[snip]
> Define "never terminates". How long did you give it? When I used to
> build PyQt under VMware it took many hours. I now build under a 700MHz
> P3 running native W2K and it still takes around an hour.

Yes, you are quite right, as it turns out the link step alone (which is
silent for a long time while calculating) takes 35 minutes.  I was merely
impatient.

> That said, I haven't built the particular combination you are talking
> about.

I found it necessary to make minor mods to point to Python stuff.  A
PYTHONDIR variable might be good to include.  I also found that the line
'python -0 -c "import qt"' failed to find qt.py even if I set PYTHONPATH
explicitly.  Replacing it with an echoed tmp.py file and 'python tmp.py'
worked tho.  Not sure what's up there, but I have found that environment
variable behavior is sometimes odd when one invokes makefiles within the
MSVC IDE.

Thanks for your help!

  -Erik Weber
   Lineo Seattle