[PyKDE] PyKDE2 Update

Jim Bublitz jbublitz at nwinternet.com
Fri Oct 19 23:59:31 BST 2001

PyKDE2 hasn't been forgotten - it's still in the almost-ready-to-
release state it's been in for several months. The fundamental
problem remains synchronizing PyKDE2 with SIP. Originally PyKDE2
demanded a bunch of new features from SIP; lately PyKDE2 has been
catching up with new SIP features that are part of the PyQt3
development. There a few bugs remaining to fixed, but most of the
serious problems are fixed in the SIP version Phil is currently
working on, which also involves some SIP input syntax changes which
are not backwards compatible. Most likely, PyKDE2 will be available
sometime *after* the next SIP/PyQt release, which will likely be
SIP/PyQt3.0.

Just to calibrate everyone's expectations:

- PyKDE2 will require the most recent (forthcoming) SIP/PyQt
  release.

- PyKDE2 will require Qt2.3x (and corresponding PyQt) and KDE2.1x
  (./configure will do version checks)

- PyKDE2 consists of Py modules for the dcop, kdecore, kdeui, kio
  and kfile libs.

- PyKDE2 will be essentially complete at release - the only missing
  methods from the libs above will be about a dozen virtual methods
  which I still haven't written code for. Nearly all other methods
  are implemented, and some have even been tested.

- CVS has *not* been updated recently.

Still planned for the future are modules for khtml, kspell, kab and
probably some kparts related stuff. Also planned are releases for
KDE2.2, KDE2.2.1, and KDE3.0alpha/PyQt3. Most of the hard work will
have been completed in getting the current PyKDE2 released, so I'm
hoping for better turnaround on future releases. I'm also open to
suggestion if there are other KDE libs that people would like Py
bindings for.

Stay tuned.

Jim