[PyKDE] Further installation follies

Jim Bublitz jbublitz at nwinternet.com
Sat Nov 24 14:57:19 GMT 2001

In addition to problems I ran into the other day, I have a couple
of new problems to disclose. Both are related to installing PyQt
and PyKDE2 on a system (in my case SuSE7.2) which had kdebindings
and sip/PyQt previously installed as part of the system install.

kdebindings installs modules named 'qt.py' and 'qt.pyc' in the
top-level Python directory - these hide modules of the same name
that PyQt places in 'site-packages' subdirectory under
/usr/lib/python. These need to be renamed or deleted for PyQt to
work.

sip normally installs in /usr/local/lib, but SuSE (and maybe
others) installs the sip libs in /usr/lib. These libs won't get
replaced when you do a new sip install. Some (not all) modules will
link to both set of libs (use ldd on the lib and look for two
different sip dependencies). PyQt worked fine, and several of the
PyKDE2 modules also linked only to the most recent sip. Other
modules linked to both sip versions and failed to install until
fixed. Delete the /usr/lib sip files (all libsip*).

The remaining problem is that KDE doesn't include a consistent set
of .h files (/opt/kde2/include on SuSE installs) even on the same
distribution. I've included missing .h files I'm aware of, but YMMV.
See the README for PyKDE2 for details.

Last, the next version of PyKDE2 (3.0alpha2) will go into CVS
Saturday, I hope. This covers Qt2.3.0/2.3.1 and KDE2.1.1/2.1.2.
I've started on bindings for KDE2.2.x. Compile times for PyKDE2 are
63 minutes on an 800MHz box, 163 minutes on a 300MHz box. This
version includes bindings for: dcop, kdecore, kdeui, kio, kfile,
kparts, khtml (including all DOM stuff), kjs, and kspell. Most of
the compile time is for kdeui and khtml (probably 80%). There will
be a tarball for download on theKompany site as soon as I figure
out how to get it to Phil.

Jim