[PyKDE] How to display GIF and JPEG

Gerard Vermeulen gvermeul at labs.polycnrs-gre.fr
Thu Mar 29 09:23:03 BST 2001

Here is an example, which fills the background of
a future killer app with .gif or .jpg picture.

--START--#!/usr/bin/env python

import sys
from qt import *
import Image # the PythonWare Imaging Library

class Viewer(QWidget):
    def __init__(self, filename, *args):
        apply(QWidget.__init__, (self,) + args)
        self.pixmap = QPixmap()
        #if not self.pixmap.load(filename): # Qt2/Linux loads *.gif and *.jpg!
        if 1:
            print 'Could not load "%s", converting to "%s.png"' % \
                   (filename, filename)
            image = Image.open(filename)
            image.save(filename + '.png') # saved format depends on extension
            self.pixmap.load(filename + '.png')
        self.setBackgroundPixmap(self.pixmap)

app = QApplication(sys.argv)
# lena.gif and lena.jpg are included in the PythonWare Imaging Library
demo = Viewer("lena.jpg") # or demo = Viewer("lena.gif")
app.setMainWidget(demo)
demo.show()
app.exec_loop()

--END--

However, on Mandrake-Linux-7.2 and Qt-2.2.1 it works without
the PythonWare Image Library. Therefore I had to replace the
if not self ....
by
if 1:

Gerard Vermeulen