[PyKDE] Qt for windows...

Bruce Sass bsass at freenet.edmonton.ab.ca
Wed Jun 27 22:13:44 BST 2001

On Wed, 27 Jun 2001, Boudewijn Rempt wrote:
> On Wed, 27 Jun 2001, Phil Thompson wrote:
>
> > You need BlackAdder (or a regular Qt commercial license) if you want to
> > develop commercial PyQt applications.
> >
> > I'm still not clear on this new license - am I right in thinking that
> > Trolltech are saying that the PyQt layer is transparent as far as the
> > license is concerned?
> >
> > In other words, you can only use the PyQt binaries under exactly the
> > same circumstances as the C++ version.
> >
> That is exactly what I understand. And if the user of the application
> created with PyQt hacks the app, he's breaking the license if he uses
> the app in the course of his work.

...but if he gets the author to do the mod and re-release he's ok.

Is it reasonable for someone wanting a particular mod to work on it
themselves before submitting a request to the author; and if it is,
would that be a violation of the license, or allowed because it is
reasonable?  Would this grey area be cleared up if the user notified
the author a modification was being worked on, i.e., the mods will be
submitted back to the author for possible inclusion in a future
release?

I guess, to be safe, a commercial operation should not use any PyQt
code <period> unless they have a commercial license for Qt, 'cause it
is just too tempting to tweak a Python program.

- Bruce