[PyKDE] Re: PyKDE Installation Trouble

Jim Bublitz jbublitz at nwinternet.com
Wed Jul 11 22:57:11 BST 2001

"Sonic & Knuckles" <celtic at ix.net.au> wrote:

> I have been interested in using PyQt and PyKDE to create GUI apps. So, I
> grabbed the latest PyQt, PyKDE and Sip (all versions at 2.4) tarballs from
> theKompany website, and set about installing them on my system RedHat 7.1. I
> installed PyQt and Sip with no problems whatsoever (well, I followed the
> directions so I hope it worked), but with PyKDE I had major problems.

I'm not familiar with RH7.1, but my guess is that it uses KDE2.x

You'd think by now that PyKDE would support KDE2.x, and in fact it
*almost*
does. PyKDE2 is a few weeks away from an alpha release. KDE2 was a big
jump
from KDE1, and we're still working on some needed enhancements to SIP
and
some issues related to getting everything to build.

I realize the version you have is PyKDE2.4, but the "2.4" tracks the SIP
version number, NOT the KDE version number. PyKDE2 is very similar to
PyQt,
so you might want to begin investigating PyQt knowing that what you pick
up there will transfer directly to PyKDE.

PyKDE2.4 still supports KDE1 (and you have to build Qt with Qt1.4x to
use
it), but KDE2 is different enough from KDE1 that at this date, I would
recommend waiting for the PyKDE2 release rather than investing effort in
PyKDE1.

Jim Bublitz