[PyKDE] PyQwt win32 binary?

Matt Gerassimoff mgeras at telocity.com
Wed Jan 31 14:02:50 GMT 2001

On Wed, 31 Jan 2001, Phil Thompson wrote:

> > You may say there is no single reason for not continuing the release of
> > PyQt.  My guess:  you want to sell copies of Black Addr.  I wouldn't buy
> > it if PyQt was available.  I'm not into IDE's that much.  You can make
> > excuses and other reasons.  But in the end, it looks like you want to sell
> > copies.  I remember when you posted the new of PyQt binaries for Windows.
> > It seemed as thought TrollTech provided Qt for this.  Maybe I'm wrong but,
> > that signifies to me that TrollTech was ok with it.  I would rather
> > program in PyQt under linux.  It was nice to have the binaries.  I don't
> > think it would be that difficult for you to continue to maintain the
> > binaries.  Because you have to do it for Black Addr anyways.
>
> Of course I want to sell copies of BlackAdder - but that wasn't an
> influence. If Trolltech were to release Qt for Windows under the GPL
> today then I would release a binary PyQt for Windows tomorrow.
>
> When Trolltech provided me with a copy of Qt it was not for any specific
> purpose. I think its just something they do from time to time as a thank
> you to people who, in some way or other, help to promote Qt.
>
> > You probably should have never released in the first place if you had
> > plans for Black Addr.  I think that was your mistake.  So cat got let out
> > of the bag and now you want to bring it back.  You might have also got
> > some users along the way.
>
> I had no plans for BlackAdder at the time. All I was trying to do was to
> make my software available to more people.
>
> > I won't be using PyQt to port anything to windows.  From the Black Addr
> > FAQ page, it seems as though you closed everything else.  I'm not getting
> > into the Microsoft payment schedule.  That's one reason I like
> > Linux.
>
> That's fine, it's your choice.
>
> > So what's next, closing sip? PyQt? PyKDE?  Maybe you'll stop
> > developing KDE interfaces?
>
> Like I've said, there are no plans to change the licensing of
> SIP/PyQt/PyKDE - I can't think of a single benefit of doing that. Like
> all open source there is nothing to stop people forking code and running
> it the way they want to.
>
> > It's starting to look a little fishy.
>
> Like I said, don't read into it things that aren't there.

Here it is from the FAQ on www.thekompay.com:

How will this affect Eric the debugger?

I will not be developing Eric further. I will accept patches and will
continue to distribute it with PyQt.

 How will this affect the Windows binary version of PyQt?

 I will not be releasing any more Windows binary versions of PyQt that
have the Qt DLLs bundled in.

As far as I see, those are direct competitors to BlackAddr.  Free as
well.  The best way I know of increasing market share is to get rid of the
competition.  As I said before, I would be less likely to buy BlackAddr if
a free release of PyQt was available for Windows.  My only reason for
having PyQt under windows is to share what I do under Linux.  If I had to
eat based on my work, I would stop development on the free stuff knowing I
can make money on a commercial version.

Phil, it is your choice.  I'm just voicing my disappointment.  The binary
release of PyQt was only 4 months old (since September).  I'm sure you
knew BlackAddr was going to be release by then.  The best outcome would be
the company that gave you the binary release should take it back and give
it to someone willing to maintain the PyQt binary release.  As I don't own
any MicroSoft development software, I couldn't do it.  But I would take it
on if someone were to provide the necessary pieces.

There is another possibility which may test the GPL and
TrollTech:  Someone could build a interface to Qt for Windows without a
commercial license and release it GPL (which it would have to).  Then
applications that are free, stay free.  I'm not sure how that would affect
TrollTech but my guess is they may change there licencing in the next
version.

I was considering this option.  As I like Qt, I don't want TrollTech to go
out of business for such a move.  But it is within the licensing
constraints as they currently are.  Plus TrollTech's model seems to bring
more people to the Linux environment.  I would prefer this also.

Matt